Thursday 12 March 2015

M is for Mother

Now as all of you fellow Britons should be aware... Mothers Day is coming up shortly. For those of you not aware its Sunday 15th March! You better get prepping!
Since catching the jewellery-making bug at the end of January, I have not stopped creating. To me, Mothers Day seemed like the perfect opportunity to put this newfound skill to use and thought I would share it with you all.

At my most recent jewellery-making class (Beadelicious) we learned how to create a necklace using wirework. I loved the intricacy of this, and that how at the end of it you had a pendant that you created completely by hand.

My First Hand Crafted Wire Heart Pendant Made in Class

Inspired by this new creation, and eager to try out some new wire-work designs, I decided to make two new necklaces for my Nan and Grandma for Mothers Day - as gifts from my parents. I wanted to keep them theme-specific and so used one of my own handmade beads to fit the bill.




The handmade bead is made from white FIMO clay that I moulded into shape and then baked until hard. I then hand painted it with a gold letter 'M' (for mother!) and little pink flowers. I just used acrylic paint for this. Once the paint had dried, I finished the bead off with a clear gloss. To compliment the floral 'M' bead, I incorporated small pale pink glass pearls into the design.



The pendant was created by forming some 0.8mm silver wire into a heart shape. Some 0.6mm silver wire was then wrapped around the heart pendant and after every few wraps, a bead was added. This technique was used to evenly distribute the beads around the pendant and also strengthens it due to the extra wire.

Once the pendant was complete, I trimmed some silver chain to size, attached a jump ring onto the pendant, and threaded it onto the chain. I then attached a silver trigger bolt clasp to finish.



And the Mother's Day deed is done!!

If you would all like a gander, I have worked on many other jewellery items including necklaces, pendants, bracelets and earrings. To view my range so far, visit my Handmade by ZibZob Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/handmadebyzibzob 

I would love to know what you all think! And I am constantly on the look out for new ideas to play with - so feedback would be very much appreciated.

Keep watching this space.
Zo..x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comment will be published once I have had a gander. Zo..x